Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waterfall

In this photograph I have captured a waterfall from my home town. This waterfall is unique because it isn't up high in the mountains like you usually would find a waterfall. The one thing that I really like about this photograph is the angle that I captured the waterfall at. However, the thing I don't like about this photograph is the time of the year I took it at; the trees are dead because it was still cold out. 

Before I climbed up to take this picture I made sure my settings were how I wanted them. I set my aperture on F 22 and my exposure speed at 1/60. On this day the sun was really bright because of the time of day I went out; therefore, the water looks really dark because I didn't allow a lot of sun into the lens. It was also a really cloudy day; thus, I created my own sky by using the gradient tool on photoshop. 

I took this photograph because it is a major spot in my home town. People go up there to take pictures, walk their dogs, go on hikes or even go up there with someone special to share the scenery with. A couple years back there was a huge fire that some teenagers started up at the top of the waterfall that really destroyed my town's mountain range and a lot of homes. That fire brought our community together  and since I am not going to school in my home town I wanted to capture a special place to take with me wherever I went.