Wednesday, November 10, 2010

St. Thomas, VI

In this photograph I have captured a beach on the island of St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. This photograph was taken last year while I was vacationing with my family. What I like about this photograph is how the chairs are perfectly set up with towels on them, waiting for someone to sit in them. However, I do not like how there is a shadow in the bottom right corner of the photograph.

Since I took this photograph at a time when the sun was at its harshest time, I had to make sure the camera settings were set correctly. The aperture was set at F 7.1 and the exposure speed was set at 1/400. Beaches are very hard to photograph during the day because the sand and the reflects the sun which makes everything much brighter. The focus is very strong in this photograph because everything is in focus.

I took this photograph because I loved how the sky and water looked blue and perfect. However, the sand in this photograph is too bright. Thus, I should have either adjusted the camera settings or photoshopped the sand to not be so bright. This photograph reminds me of a picture you would see in a magazine promoting tourists to come visit the island. That is also why I like this photograph.