Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jellyfish

In this photograph I have captured jellyfish swimming with one another. This photograph was taken in the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I like in this photograph how I captured a bunch of jellyfish swimming in one area of the tank. However, I do not like how blurry some of the jellyfish look because of the tank.

Since the jellyfish tank was inside a dark area I had to adjust my camera settings to let in more light because I could not use a flash. The aperture was set at F 4.8 and the exposure speed was set at 1/10. This allowed the perfect amount of light into the camera lens without causing the jellyfish to be whited out. The focus is moderate in this photograph because only some jellyfish are in focus while others are not.

To improve this photograph would be for the jellyfish to not be moving so they can all be in focus, but that cannot happen. I captured this photograph because I love all ocean animals. Further more, I really liked how all the jellyfish were in a group together with their bodies all inter tangling one another. I also liked how the jellyfish were not all one size and how some were darker because they were swimming more up to the top of the tank while the others are down closer to the light. The jellyfish are creating depth in this photograph without me the photographer doing much, which does not happen often.